— Main — About the company — History of the terminal

HISTORY OF THE TERMINAL

The sea port is the same age as the city of St. Petersburg. The first port facilities were built on Zayachy Island in 1703. Until 1733, piers were located in the city center on Troitskaya Square, then on the Spit of Basil Island, and it was not until 1885 that the port in the city south was opened.

The launch of navigation on May 15, 1885, through the Sea Canal (15 miles or 29.6 km long) gave rise to the start of the new St. Petersburg Sea Port on Gutuyevsky Island. Located in the southern part of the Big Neva mouth, the canal gave an opportunity of practically limitless port expansion in the direction of Strelna. It enabled ships with bigger draught to come to St. Petersburg. “The Sea Canal and new basins near it have made the St. Petersburg port a junction of three roads, namely, the Baltic sea way, the Mariinsky river system, and the railway. This has indeed brought sea ships, Volga barges, and locomotives together.” (from The Sea Gate of Leningrad, a book by M. Sonkin and I. Maximov).

In 1887, the first regulations for ship traffic in the Sea Canal were adopted.

The first mention of oil and oil product storage and shipment facilities in the Coal Harbor refer to the early 19th century, which was a time of technical progress and development for the Russian fleet.

According to the Russian Trade Port Atlas of 1892, “the Sea Wharf was the place where oil was shipped from the storage facilities of the Nobel joint stock company, as much as 1.5 million poods per year.”

An oil loading site, a base, a district, a transshipment unit, a terminal – the name has been changed many times, but the field of the company’s business has always been the same, and it is ship fueling and oil transshipment and storage.

 PNT_fotopaint_014.jpg

Photo of the oil loading site, 1908

There is a unique photo of the oil base in the early 20th century that pictures tanks for oil products, most probably kerosene. At that time, there were already 12 tanks here with a boiler house and a railway to the Avtovo station, which was then called the Sea Wharf.

From the 1950s to the 1960s, the oil base belonged to the Baltic Sea Shipping Company. After that, is was transferred to the Leningrad Sea Trade Port, and until late 1980s, is was officially a part of District 4, which specialized in coal.


PNT_fotopaint_013.jpg

Photo of the oil base, 1968

Until the late 1980s, the main objective of the port oil base was ship fueling, mainly for the Baltic Sea Shipping Company. New times brought new challenges and goals. On December 13, 1990, the Oil Loading District (since 01.01.1994, the Port Oil Loading District Lease Enterprise) was established, which did ship fueling for the Baltic Sea Shipping Company, the Fish and River Ports, and the Northwest Sea Shipping Company as well as supply of bunker fuel for Russian ships abroad.

In the Soviet times, most oil products were exported from ice-free ports in the Baltic States, to which Russia lost access when the USSR collapsed. Redirecting export cargoes to Russian ports became a top priority for the Russian government. In the middle 1990s, federal programs were adopted to support port capacity development in Russia with special attention paid to the Baltic region and the coastal areas of the Gulf of Finland.

Since June 1995, there has been a new turn of the company development, already with the name Petersburg Oil Terminal. The program of step-by-step construction of the terminal and commissioning of new capacities without stopping the business has proven efficient. There has been a substantial increase of the tank farm, and new wharves, railway overpasses, and other facilities and port infrastructure elements have been built.

 

By the beginning of 2014, the total amount of investments in construction and development of the terminal amounted to 216 million dollars.

 

 

1995

2015

Tank farm

54,000 m3

397,000 m3

Railway overpasses

36 tank places

108 tank places

River wharves

none

2 wharves

Sea wharves

1 wharf

2 wharves

Universal wharves

none

2 wharves

Fueling wharves

1

1

Deadweight of received ships

25,000 t

100,000 t

Terminal capacity

1,000,000 t/year

10,000,000 t/year

 

 PNT.jpg

St. Petersburg Oil Terminal, 2011